The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

39th Santa Barbara International Film Festival Media Package

The longtime tradition of the International Film Festival returned to Santa Barbara for the 39th year. For eleven days, Santa Barbara was visited by a variety of oscar contenders and the industry’s best, including Billie Eilish, Robert Downey Jr., Bradley Cooper, and many more. This package includes exclusive coverage from DPMedia students who had the opportunity to speak to the award winners on the red carpet.

In the early 1900s Santa Barbara was a filmmaking center rivaled only by Hollywood. It was home to the first major movie studio in California, “Flying A” studios, or the American Film Manufacturing Co., founded in 1912. The studio produced nearly a thousand films, and since then Santa Barbara has been the filming location for some of the country’s most popular movies and television shows.

Today, SBIFF is a world-renowed film festival and one of the leading festivals in the United States. Paying tribute to over 200 films every year, the festival has attracted over 100,000 attendees, including award-winning filmmakers, actors, students, and devoted moviegoers.

The festival holds a variety of events, including film screenings, celebrity tributes, panel discussions, and after-parties.

The award recipients this year include Robert Downey Jr. for the Maltin Modern Master Award, Mark Ruffalo for the American Riviera Award, Bradley Cooper for the Outstanding Performer of the Year Award, Jeffery Wright for the Montecito Award, and Annette Benning for the Arlington Award.

Read more about the award events and the film festival in the article collection below!

Opening Night

Maltin Modern Master Award – Robert Downey Junior
The highest honor presented bt SBIFF, this was presented for his most recent supporting role in Oppenheimer

DPNews footage

American Riviera Award – Mark Ruffalo With Santa Barbara being long described as the “American Riviera”, SBIFF gives this trademarked name to someone who has made great contributions to American cinema.

Outstanding Performer of the Year Award – Bradley Cooper
Given to the best performance of the year, Bradley Cooper exceeded greatness in his leading role in Maestro

Cinema Vanguard Award – Paul Giamatti
Honors actors that have forged new ground in their craft

DPNews Footage

Virtuosos Award – Various
Given to up-and-coming actors and actresses for their breakthrough performances
Recipients:

DPNews Footage

Variety Artisans Award

An award to celebrate the below-the-line professionals who are essential to the filmmaking process.

DPNews Footage

Directors Panel

Panels are an hour and a half candid conversation with a moderator and several of the year’s top producers, writers, women, and animators discussing not only their most recent work but the state of the industry.

Writers Panel

DPNews Footage

Never miss out on new articles!