Mark Ruffalo at the 39th Santa Barbara International Film Festival
Ava Canfield

Mark Ruffalo’s versatile career takes center stage at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival

DPNews SBIFF American Riviera Award red carpet interviews

Instead of tuning into the Superbowl on Sunday, actor Mark Ruffalo was spending his night at the Arlington Theater for the 39th Annual Santa Barbara Film Festival, being honored with the American Riviera Award.

The red carpet was followed by a tribute, where Ruffalo and moderator Anne Thompson of IndieWire had a conversation on his career, leading up to this year’s performance as Ducan Wedderburn in the film “Poor Things.” Following the tribute, Co-Star Emma Stone presented the award.

As one of the few opportunities for big names in the film industry to talk to high school students, DPmedia students took the opportunity to discuss with him and other filmmakers about their lives as young people and how they got to the places they are today.

Mark Ruffalo talking with DPNews at the 39th Annual Santa Barbara Film Festival (Ava Canfield)

Surprisingly, Ruffalo’s acting career was inspired by the theater.

“I did a small part in the play and it was just incredible. I got a big laugh early on and I said ‘This is what I wanna do for the rest of my life,” Ruffalo told DPNews.

However, making it big in the film industry wasn’t easy. Especially just doing small plays for Los Angeles theater, which according to Ruffalo casting directors have little respect for, and “if you put LA theater on your credits they throw your resume in the trash.” After years of side hustles alongside his struggling acting career, such as a telemarketer and a bartender, Ruffalo finally kicked off his success when he was cast in the 2000 film “You Can Count on Me.” He gave some words of wisdom to young people wanting to follow in his footsteps.

“No one can stop you but you. Develop yourself, develop who you are outside of the magazines and social media. Find out who you are and your own voice and what’s important to you.”

Now, Ruffalo boasts a more than impressive acting career, with numerous accomplishments in many different fields, including many independent films, producing, and activism. A major claim to fame is his decade-long role as “the Hulk” in nine Marvel movies, and possibly even more, Ruffalo teased during the tribute.

Ruffalo has received Academy Award nominations for his roles in “Spotlight,” “Foxcatcher” and “The Kids are Alright.” He won the Emmy and the Screen Actors Guild Award for his portrayal of twin brothers in “I Know This Much is True,” and also won a Screen Actors Guild for his role in Larry Kramer’s “The Normal Heart.”

This year, he’s nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his part as Duncan Wedderbrun in “Poor Things.”

Emma Stone at the 39th Santa Barbara International Film Festival (Ava Canfield)

”Poor Things” by filmmaker Yorgos Lanthimos and producer Emma Stone tells the story of Bella Baxter (Stone), a young woman brought back to life by scientist Dr. Godwin Baxter (Willem Dafoe). Under Baxter’s protection, Bella is eager to learn about the world. She runs off with Ruffalo’s character, lawyer Duncan Wedderbrun, on an adventure across continents.

“Ruffalo has been such a remarkable performer for years – deserving all the honors year after year – but his go-for broke acting in ‘Poor Things’ is a revelation. An extraordinary talent that just keeps outdoing himself,” SBIFF’s Executive Director Roger Durling said.

In his tribute, moderator Anne Thomas highlighted all the ways Ruffalo was able to make Wedderburn likable and almost humble, much like the way he portrays many of his other characters, despite Wedderburn being narcissistic and debauched.

“You somehow manage to make us feel sorry for this dissipated a**hole,” said Thompson.

Behind the camera, Ruffalo also has experience in producing. Many of his productions bring attention to the fight for indigenous rights, environmental concerns, and the communities most affected by the climate crisis. Some of his recent productions include “Lakota Nation vs. United States,” “Invisible Hand” and “Dear President Obama: The Clean Energy Revolution Is Now.” A notable film, “Dark Waters,” featured Ruffalo as the lead actor where he also advocated for clean energy and environmental justice with the character he brought to life.

Mark Ruffalo and Robert Durling, director of SBIFF (Ava Canfield)

Outside of the filmmaking world, Ruffalo is also a co-founder and Board member of The Solutions Project, national organization with a mission to accelerate the transition to 100% clean energy and equitable access to healthy air, water, and soils by supporting climate justice organizations, especially those led by women of color.

Santa Barbara has long been described as the American Riviera, and the SBIFF places this trademarked name on this award established to recognize actors who have made a significant contribution to American Cinema. Ruffalo’s name is among the likes of Brendan Fraser, Kristen Stewart, Rachel McAdams, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, and many others.

Ruffalo’s humanity came out in his acceptance speech, where he acknowleged the 20,000 Chumash who originally occupied Santa Barbara.

“I want to thank them for hosting us in spirit tonight,” he said.

Never miss out on new articles!