Stay Tuned Vol. 4

Stay Tuned Vol. 4

In the world of music today, there are many artists with unique styles and themes in their music. Musicians such as Taylor Swift or Harry Styles have achieved billions of streams. However, there are lesser-known artists out there who also resonate with their listeners. Let’s explore the underground/indie artists favored by Dos Pueblos students.

Ethan Salcedo (9) suggested to students an American band called Surfaces, led by vocalists/guitarists Forrest Frank and Colin Padalecki. Salcedo personally finds that their music is appealing, utilizing a combination of different musical genres.

Ethan Salcedo (9) [Jennifer Johnson] (Dylan Ewing)
“They make really good, feel-good music,” Salcedo said. “Like a mixture of pop and rap, but, like, a lot more laid back.”

Salcedo’s favorite song is “Sunday Best,” which he recommends to people. Furthermore, he originally became interested in the band because of the music his mother often played at home.

Ethan Salcedo (9) (Jennifer Johnson)

“[My mom] listens to this music a lot and I ended up listening to it with her while I was cleaning around the house with her,” Salcedo said. “So I ended up really liking it and I added it to my playlist.”

Salcedo’s personal connection with the band changed over time, as he found that their music could be listened to during independent tasks.

“It started going into something I would listen to when I studied, like that kinda stuff,” Salcedo said.

While discussing the band’s overall theme portrayed in their music, Salcedo perceives a mostly positive message to the tunes that he hears from them.

“Mostly just ‘Hey, feel good, do your best,’” Salcedo said. “Like, we’re here to have fun.”

Salcedo additionally recommends artists such as Childish Gambino to those who also enjoy the music of Surfaces.

Never miss out on new articles!