The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Stay Tuned Vol. 3

Devon Bliss (9) smiled as she talked about her favorite underground artist, rileyy, and the memories the songs have given her. “[rileyy’s] very calm and a lot of [her music] is like hopeless romantic vibes,” Bliss said. (Nicola Bailey)
When it comes to music, Devon Bliss (9) likes to listen to “underground” artists, and songs that aren’t as mainstream as others. She’s drawn specifically to an artist named rileyy.

“Her style is very different,” Bliss said. “She has a very calm demeanor and something that’s just sweet to listen to … a lot of it is like hopeless romantic vibes.”

rileyy is an independent artist with 10.8k monthly listeners on Spotify, and while she has only released two songs, the songs that she does have evoke a specific feeling in listeners.

“A lot of people are kinda more intense right now,” Bliss said. “So it’s nice to just sit back and listen to [someone calmer].”

Bliss’s favorite song out of rileyy’s discography is “txt me.” The feeling of being a hopeless romantic and the feelings of calmness reminds Bliss of why she was drawn to rileyy to begin with.

“The lyrics are like poetry,” Bliss said. “[I was drawn to] the vibe of the songs and also not only the calming demeanor but … she’s underground, so [there’s] not that many listeners but [she’s] already so good and she already has her own style.”

This underground status of rileyy’s seems to fit her style of music, according to Bliss. Sheadmits that not many of her friends listen to rileyy either, even though they listen to other underground artists.

“Maybe the same genre, but not the same person,” Bliss said.

Bliss thinks that five artists that are similar to rileyy would be dacelynn, Her’s, Strawberry Guy, Matt Maltese, and Faye Webster. While not all of these artists share the same hopeless romantic vibe that rileyy has, Bliss thinks their songs have aspects of them that are similar to rileyy’s.

“I listen to these songs and they’ve been giving me new meanings the more I listen to them,” Bliss said. “So I like listening to them through the years and remembering the memories of these songs I look back on.”