Stay Tuned Vol. 1

Stay Tuned Vol. 1

Spirit Riot, as described by Rogue Lindsay (11), is an independent rock band based in Los Angeles. They have been established on Spotify since 2022, and their newest song “Witchcraft” was released earlier this February. Even without a major label’s support, the band continues to deliver new music to their audience.

“[Spirit Riot]’s completely self-made and self-funded,” Lindsay said. ”I think they’re pretty well known within the niche indie rock scene in Los Angeles.”

Many of their songs can be categorized as rock, while others lean into goth, emo, or hardcore tones through “spooky guitar line[s]” and “distorted vocals.” The band employs a variety of musical elements that don’t strictly adhere to the limits of rock.

“[Their music]’s not really romantic,” Lindsay said. “It’s more like emo goth … it’s a little edgy, but it has really pretty instrumentals.”

Lindsay was introduced to Spirit Riot through their past band director, the group’s current bassist. He shared Spirit Riot’s songs with his students, who listened inside and outside of the classroom. Despite no longer being his student, Lindsay has stayed tuned to hear Spirit Riot’s music develop.

”They’re just doing a lot of fun, experimental stuff, but … it’s not too new that it’s jarring,” Lindsay said. “It keeps you comfortable while also experiencing new sounds.”

Spirit Riot’s accomplishments within the Los Angeles music industry prove that they can be role models for those who also share an interest in music. They show that underground bands have a chance to gain a following and find success from their passions.

“It’s really cool to see, especially someone I know, be really good at music and be really passionate about it,” Lindsay said. “It’s pretty inspiring to people who want to get into the music industry.”

Out of the songs currently released by Spirit Riot, Lindsay’s favorite is “In My Head,” which leans into a gothic atmosphere through notable guitar riffs. For those who also enjoy this song, Lindsay recommends listening to the artists Sweet Pill, Ghösh, Saba Lou, The Smiths, and TV Girl. Like Spirit Riot, these artists are affiliated with indie rock and distorted vocals.

“I think they all have an interesting overarching sound,” Lindsay said. “There’s a lot of overlap within communities that listen to their music.”

Finding new bands like Spirit Riot comes from seeking new music, and Lindsay encourages people to do just that. They specifically recommend branching out into the goth scene.

“If you have an opportunity to listen to more music, you should,” Lindsay said. “Also, Russian goth and Spanish goth [are] really, really good.”