The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

BCRC THRIVE fashion show

Akiko Noguchi, Amara Maeliszewski, Tessa Flanagan, Jennifer Drury, and Francesca Cava stand together for their “grand finale”.

On May 5, the Santa Barbara Breast Cancer Resource Center held its 16th annual THRIVE Fashion Show at the Montecito Club.

The BCRC is a community resource that provides free services to women living with breast cancer before, in, and after treatment. These services include peer counseling, support groups, reiki, and meditation.

The purpose of the fashion show was to celebrate and uplift women who have dealt with breast cancer, and to raise money to support the programs and services the BCRC offers.

The event began at 11 a.m. with a silent auction, offering prizes from local sponsors and donors. Attendees could receive a free eyebrow touch up, courtesy of sponsor RevitaLash Cosmetics, and take photos in the Elite Photo Booth.

At 12 p.m., five client models walked the runway in clothing sponsored by Allora by Laura. These models – Francesca Cava, Jennifer Drury, Tessa Flanagan, Amara Maeliszewski, and Akiko Noguchi – are all survivors of breast cancer and have received support from the BCRC.

“We applaud their confidence, strength, and courage in sharing their journey to becoming a thriver,” said Silvana Kelly, Executive Director of the BCRC.

Francesca Cava

Jennifer Drury

More survivor stories can be found here.

Miriam Dance sings “Journey”. (Reese Dheming)

Guests then ate lunch in the ballroom, followed by Miriam Dance’s performance of Journey, an original song about navigating a journey through a breast cancer diagnosis. Dance was a client model for the 2021 THRIVE Fashion Show.

Tickets for next year’s THRIVE Fashion Show can be found at the BCRC’s website next spring.

“It was a beautiful day filled with joy, beauty, and much love from an incredible community who rallied around these amazing women to celebrate their place of thriving,” said Kelly.