Summer camp volunteer ideas

Summer camp volunteer ideas

Over the summer, many students look for volunteer opportunities to fulfill their community service hour requirements, get experience in a field of interest, or simply want to find a way to engage in the community. Below is a list of eight organizations that offer summer camp or general volunteer positions for current high school students. Community service hours are available from each camp.

Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History
Volunteering at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History provides students with the opportunity of working with the Museum’s Summer Nature Adventure Camps where they have the option to either work with young children in the museum, explore the Mission Creek Campus with campers, or work in the Sea Center. The volunTEENS programs also give students the chance to work in the Museum’s Backyard exhibit and interact with guests. Students ages 14-17 can volunteer.
Junior lifeguards
Being a Counselor in Training (CIT) at Hendry’s Beach Junior Lifeguards is also a great way to work at the beach and learn more about safety in the ocean. CITs work with kids on strengthening their swimming, paddling, endurance, and more. It is also a good opportunity for someone looking to hold a lifeguarding position in the future.

The Santa Barbara Zoo
Volunteering at the Santa Barbara Zoo is also a great opportunity to work with kids as well as animals over the summer. Volunteers work with young kids, helping with arts and crafts, walking around the zoo, and discussing animals with their campers. Current high school students can apply.

Cottage Health
Students can also volunteer at Cottage Hospital starting at the age of 14 and have the chance to make an impact on the community. Students under 18 can volunteer in the Telemetry department, the Patient Transport department, be an ambassador, and more.

SB Bucket Brigade
The Bucket Brigade accepts volunteers of all ages to participate in community projects. The Santa Barbara Bucket Brigade was initially founded as a volunteer group that helped with disaster relief in the community. Since then they have expanded to also help preserve wildlife and better the environment. Some projects include planting trees, clearing spaces for gardens, weeding, and more.

BUNS
Students 16 and older can volunteer at BUNS, a local animal shelter. Volunteers will help with feeding, grooming, exercising, and taking care of the bunnies. Buns has a variety of positions available and customer service and bunny/guinea pig handling experience is desired. Volunteer hours are flexible.

ASAP Cats
ASAP Cats allows students 16 and up to volunteer to groom, feed, and spend time with cats at the ASAP Cat Shelter. Orientation, training, and shadowing is required before a student can become a full volunteer. Shifts are around four hours and ASAP Cats does provide community service hours but will not sign off on hours until the student has been volunteering for at least four months.

SB Humane Society
Once 16, students can volunteer at the Santa Barbara Humane Society. A variety of positions are available such as dog/cat caretaker, photographer, profile writer, and more. Cat volunteers would help cats with socialization, cleaning, and helping with the adoption match making process. Dog volunteers are in charge of exercising dogs, helping with basic training, and socialization. Photographers are required to have previous photography experience and profile writers are required to have creative writing skills and creativity.