How to register to vote

Found on pixabay.com
Found on pixabay.com
OpenClipart-Vectors

A number of students at Dos Pueblos will have the opportunity to vote in the upcoming 2024 Presidential Election. For first time voters, it can be confusing, so below are some ways to learn about the political candidates and information on how to register to vote:

California’s Primary election is on Mar. 5, and the General Election is on Nov. 5. There are multiple ways to register to vote in California. Students who are over 18 can register online at registertovote.ca.gov or register to vote by paper. Registerees must register at least 15 days before the election, which takes place on Feb. 20.

For those who are unable to register within this time frame, there is still a way to vote. California, along with 21 other states, has same-day voter registration, which allows voters to register after the 15-day period. To do this, registrees must go to their county election office, polling place, or vote center. Students who want to utilize same-day voter registration can use this site to find the nearest polling place. For more information, go to sos.ca.gov.

When researching presidential candidates, voters can use VoteSmart. VoteSmart is a website which provides users with a politician’s qualifications, education, former positions, voting records, and speeches. Another reliable resource is OpenSecrets, which tracks any politician’s donation and spending history, so users can see who is funding their campaign.

In addition, the U.S. Government releases the voting history of every member of Congress. This information can be found by using “.gov” websites. There are many cases where politicians’ statements don’t match their actions, which is why it is important to understand the voting and funding history of the candidates.