The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Cozy Cuisine Vol. 5

For Bogatz, Pastina soup has been a staple comfort food since childhood. She recalls memories of her grandmother making the Italian dish for her as a little girl.

“My grandma used to make it when I was sick. Like, rainy days. It reminds me of good times and just makes me feel cozy.”

Graphic (Araceli Rodriguez)

Today, Bogatz makes the simple soup for her two little boys, just like her grandmother did for her. During a recent visit from her mother, Bogatz came home to her sick son with a wholesome and reminiscent surprise.

“My mom made [pastina soup] for my son. I came home, and they were watching TV, eating pastina soup.”

Pastina soup is an Italian comfort dish famous for its “ability to cure sickness.” The word pastina refers to a category of tiny pastas that have a variety of different shapes. Some shapes include stars, tubes, and shells.

Like the pasta itself, not every pastina soup is identical. Bogatz explains her way of making the comfort soup:

Ali Bogatz outside of her classroom. (Araceli Rodriguez)

First, you boil some chicken broth. Then you add the pastina of your choice. Bogatz likes to use star-shaped pastina “because they’re fun.” Let the pastina cook for a couple of minutes until it reaches a softer consistency. Then you add eggs and whisk the mixture to make it creamy. To finish, add Parmesan cheese and pepper. You can also top it off with ricotta cheese, just like Bogatz does.

For a more detailed recipe, visit Chicken Pastina Soup – Pina Bresciani

Never miss out on new articles!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Charger Account

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dos Pueblos High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.