The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

History of walkouts at DP

Dos Pueblos students walking to Girsh Park during the student organized walkout on Dec. 1.

Like the walkout on December 1, there have been three other student-led walkouts. According to William Woodard, Dos Pueblos’s principal of seven years,

“There was one walkout after the 2016 elections … Then there was one to protest gun violence … then there was a march for climate change,” DP Principal William Woodard said.

Anti-Trump Walkout

On November 9, 2016, DP students joined students from UC Santa Barbara, San Marcos High School, and Santa Barbara High School to protest against the election results. During this protest there were also school staff present to keep the students safe.

“This is an important day for our students as they make sense of the future, and we should allow this expression of student voice,” said Santa Barbara Unified School District Superintendent Cary Matzuoka in an interview with NOOZHAWK.

Between 300 to 400 students participated, and during the march, approximately 100 students walked three miles to join the UCSB students protesting — the rest had scattered and possibly gone back to class.

Speakers at the protest discussed Trump’s prior statements against women and the LGBTQ+ community and expressed their disappointment in the United States government. Many of the students present were first-generation, immigrants, minorities, or were part of the LGBTQ+ community. When the DP students reached Storke Tower at 1 p.m., they were greeted with cheers, and after two hours the protest was called to a close.

Anti-Gun Violence Walkout

On February 14, 2018, a former student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida opened fire on students and staff, killing 17 and injuring 14 others. The mass shooting was reported on across the nation, and sparked controversy around gun violence.

A month after the Parkland Shooting on March 14, 2018, there were many student-led protests against gun violence among high schools in Santa Barbara County. Around 500 DP students walked to Girsh Park in solidarity with grieving families. Across town, a reported 200 students from San Marcos High School marched to La Cumbre Plaza, chanting with megaphones and holding protest signs. After holding a moment of silence, over 500 Santa Barbara High School students marched to the Santa Barbara Courthouse Sunken Gardens.

Climate Change, Anti-Oil Work Walkout

On September 27, 2019, students from UCSB, Santa Barbara High School, and Dos Pueblos High School participated in the Global Climate Change Strike. Dos Pueblos’ students walked to Girsh Park for the rally and to listen to speeches from climate activists. This protest was encouraged by a 16-year-old Swedish environmental activist, Greta Thunberg. Thunberg started this when she started skipping school on Fridays and demanding a change for the improvement of our climate.

According to articles from NOOZHAWK and The Santa Barbara INDEPENDENT, the students were protesting against the 750 new oil wells in the county that oil companies, such as Aera Energy, Energy Reserves Group, and Petrorock Energy had proposed to build.

Davis is the president of Sierra Club Los Padres and a protest participant and addressed her climate concerns in an interview with The Santa Barbara INDEPENDENT.

“Our climate is changing faster than what species can adapt to,” Davis said.

Every student-led protest at Dos Pueblos has caused an effect. In articles such as “Dos Pueblos High School Students Join UCSB in Protests Against Trump” by Daily Neux and “Santa Barbara Teens Rally for Action on Climate Change” by NOOZHAWK, students were noticed and heard, and were able to enact change within their community in a peaceful way.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Charger Account

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dos Pueblos High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.