The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Ceramic Artist Joslyn-Marie Hawkins

Ceramic mugs made by Joslyn-Marie Hawkins (11).

When most people think of ceramics, they envision large, curvy pots and shiny, white porcelain. However, there is much more to ceramics than the final product. There’s a long process of brainstorming, planning, testing, and building that leads to the finished product.

Joslyn-Marie Hawkins (11) is a young ceramicist who has been a part of the ceramic community for over two years. As Hawkins continues experimenting with the art of ceramics, she hopes to see a future where she can show the world the work that she’s made.

“I know a lot of people in the art community [like] Toni Scott.” Hawkins said. “Hopefully she can showcase my stuff someday.”

Large ceramic bowl made by Joslyn-Marie Hawkins (11). (Grace Thao)

When making projects, Hawkins prefers throwing on the wheel as opposed to handbuilding, because it allows her to openly express her creative side in a way that suits her style.

“I feel like it’s more forgiving than handbuilding … I don’t know, it’s just easier to start again when you’re throwing,” she said.

Hawkins has made many different pieces throughout her years as a ceramicist, but her favorite piece that she’s made thus far are her two matching mugs. Although this project was originally for a class assignment, Hawkins is more than pleased with the outcome of her mugs.

“I have two bright coral pink mugs that I really like; they’re abstract. It’s the first matching set I’ve made, so that’s got to be my favorite,” Hawkins said.

Not only does she enjoy the creative aspect of ceramics, but she also enjoys the idea of doing it independently. Working alone allows Hawkins to express her ideas wholeheartedly, instead of having her thoughts turned down by peers.

“I like that you can do it alone,” Hawkins said. “It’s not [always] a partner thing, so it’s basically only your ideas. You can be creative in different ways by yourself.”

More often than not, it’s quite challenging to come up with ideas or drawings for ceramic projects. However, instead of making elaborate plans, Hawkins finds it easier to just go with the flow.

“There’s really no process or plan unless it’s for a designated project,” Hawkins said. “Like, when [my] plan goes off the rails, [or I] mess up or something, I kind of just figure out how to make it work.”

As Hawkins continues to experiment in her artistic journey with ceramics, she also hopes to meddle in new mediums of art.

“I feel like ceramics is my thing right now, but soon, I’ll tie it into other types of work.”