Spirit and Junior Spirit of the 100th Fiesta celebration are chosen

Georgey Taupin (10) finds out she has become the 2024 Spirit of Fiesta at the Lobero Theater. Jack Harwood holds out the Spirit sash, ready to pass it on the Taupin.
Sienna Valentine

This summer is the 100th anniversary of the Old Spanish Days Fiesta Celebration. Fiesta is an annual tradition in Santa Barbara that celebrates the Spanish dance of Flamenco.

Dance studios from across the county prepare year-round for their dance troupes to perform all around town in late July or early August. Each year, a Spirit and Junior Spirit of Fiesta is selected. Each contestant went through a tryout process and on April 6, the finals were held.

With 11 Junior Spirit finalists and 14 Spirit finalists, Aleenah Soriano and Georgey Taupin (10) were selected as the Junior Spirit and Spirit of Fiesta.

Aleenah Soriano and Georgey Taupin (10) pose for a photo after winning Spirit and Junior Spirit of Fiesta. ((Old Spanish Days))

Last year’s Spirit of Fiesta Jack Harwood made history as the first man to become Spirit. At the finals, Harwood performed a farewell dance and speech where he expressed his gratitude for his family and those who supported him throughout the year.

Taupin, a student at Oaks Christian Online and former Junior Spirit, is in shock about becoming this year’s Spirit. She is a flamenco instructor at Zermeno Dance Academy and is involved in musical theater. She loves exploring other dance styles and likes the “camaraderie” and “teamwork.”

“Okay I said this on stage,” Taupin said. “[It’s] cliche, but actually a dream because I have been fantasizing about what if my name was called, what if I get the sash on, and everytime I think about it, oh my gosh, it’s so exciting and I can’t believe it actually happened —shock, just pure shock I think.”

After coming off the stage from her routine, Taupin felt positive about her performance.

“I felt pretty good of course, still a little nervous because we weren’t sure about what the results were going to be but I felt pretty good, I felt good,” Taupin said.

Soriano, a fourth grade student at Roosevelt Elementary School, has become the new Junior Spirit of Fiesta. She enjoys music and art at school because it allows her to express her creativity. She plans to share her “love for dance” with the community and “inspire other young dancers.”

As the 100th year anniversary of Fiesta, festivities throughout the summer will celebrate the long-lasting tradition in Santa Barbara.