The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Music: The Classroom Catalyst for Learning

Ethan Alvarenga

“No music allowed” and “headphones off and away” are two rules that many schools implement in hopes of helping students focus on schoolwork and enhancing learning environments. However, this rule can prevent students from being successful. Teachers and students alike have mixed feelings regarding how listening to music can be beneficial or detrimental to education.

Many teachers hold concerns over listening to music during work time due to its ability to distract students and keep them off track. However, students such as John Steele (11) believe that listening to music while working on classwork should be tolerated more.

“I think that for some people it is distracting and then [administrators] apply that to everybody else,” Steele said. “I think that [teachers] should be more kind about people listening to music.”

Steele is not alone in this way of thinking. Shaun Vague (12), also recognizes that listening to music can get students off track, but he also understands that music contributes multiple classroom benefits.

“I believe it depends on the person,” Vague said. “I feel like it helps me focus more and be more relaxed in the classroom … and [be] more productive.

Students choose specific music to accompany their studies, and this music can significantly impact their educational experience. According to Vague and Steele, listening to music can assist students in focusing on classwork, reduce tremendous amounts of stress, and provide additional benefits to the classroom. Allowing students to listen to music during class can decrease the amount of anxiety that is faced during school hours, and improve their independent study skills. Florida National University advocates for the positive effects of allowing students to listen to music during class. The university suggests that music can help students cope with anxiety during school hours and improve their independent study skills.

“Music is found to help people perform better in high-pressure situations such as the bi-annual high-pressure event that is finals week,” FNU said.

This statement strongly underlines the advantageous role of listening to music, particularly in navigating high-pressure scenarios, such as the notoriously stress-inducing finals week. While the specific instance mentioned by FNU is hypothetical, it serves as an illustrative example that sheds light on the potential benefits some educational institutions can associate with the integration of music into the learning environment. These perceived advantages extend beyond the hypothetical scenario, finding resonance in the belief that music can significantly enhance the educational experience. The sentiments expressed by FNU, namely that music aids in concentration during studies and acts as a stress alleviator, offer a compelling argument for the incorporation of music into the broader educational landscape. These benefits underscore the potential positive impact of permitting students to listen to music. By fostering an environment where stress levels are kept in check and students are immersed in a conducive learning atmosphere, the act of listening to music emerges as a valuable consideration for educational settings aiming to enhance the overall well-being and academic performance of students.

Students use specific music to accompany their studies, and this music can significantly impact their educational experience. Not only does music reduce stress, but it also helps students focus on assignments.

In studies conducted by Stanford, they found that there are different benefits to listening to different genres of music. Researchers used music from the 1800s in one study and found that music activates the brain regions associated with attention, prediction-making, and memory updating.

Numerous experts unanimously agree that specific music genres, including jazz, classical, rap, and hip-hop, can significantly enhance students’ productivity and mental health. In the realm of mental well-being, Cambridge University conducted studies on hip-hop music, revealing an uplifting effect on listeners that aids in acceptance, management, and coping with mental health issues. The research suggests that for students contending with anxiety and stress, incorporating rap music into study sessions can be particularly beneficial. The positive impact of hip-hop on listeners, as highlighted in Cambridge University’s study, provides valuable support for mental well-being. With various subgenres within rap, students are encouraged to explore and find the one that resonates, offering that extra boost of support for their brains.

In many cases listening to music can help students study independently. It is important to note that with the impactful contributions listening to music has, this does not mean music should get in the way of teachers’ instructions or be played during group work assignments where communication and cooperation are critical.

Striking a balance between the current rules and the possibility of higher student success would foster a productive and less stressful learning environment. With thoughtful consideration and open communication, both teachers and students can find practical solutions that enhance the educational experience, ultimately benefiting everyone involved.

FDU https://www.fnu.edu/benefits-studying-music/#:~:text=Studies%20have%20shown%20that%20music,maximize%20learning%20and%20improve%20memory.