The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Most reliable cars for high schoolers

Wikimedia Commons
2018 Honda Civic Type R Interior

Whether you have just gotten your driver’s license or are saving up for your first vehicle, owning a car can be very beneficial as a teenager. Some car brands on the market aren’t necessarily the most safe or reliable, making it important to research and understand all of the options. As a beginning driver, it can be hard to know which brands offer the most dependable vehicles because there are dozens of car brands on the market. To those who are looking for the most affordable, reliable options to drive, here are some models to consider when purchasing your first vehicle.

Toyota Corolla

2019 Toyota Corolla (Wikimedia Commons)

The Toyota Corolla has remained one of the most reliable cars to drive ever since its debut in 1966. The Corolla is known for its overall reliability, average gas mileage of 34 miles per gallon, and low cost of ownership. In addition, it has an average lifespan of 300,000 miles with proper maintenance. Look for Corollas made from 2004 to 2008 and 2010 to 2013, as these are the best years to purchase this model. On average, Corollas from these years cost anywhere from $3,500 to $8,000. The Corolla also holds a positive reputation for its safety, receiving a 5-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Toyota offers two styles for the Corolla: a sedan and hatchback. The sedan provides the typical 4-door passenger car with a separate trunk, while the hatchback version is assembled on a two-box body with a tailgate that flips up, which offers more space for storage. Overall, the Corolla’s consistent performance, longevity, and safety features make it a reputable option for drivers looking for a dependable and economically-conscious vehicle.

Honda Civic

2023 Honda Civic XI Hatchback (Wikimedia Commons)

Similar to the Corolla, the Honda Civic is a common car seen on the road, which is for good reason. The Civic is renowned for its longevity factor, as it is able to be driven over 200,000 miles. The average Civic reaches about 50 to 70 thousand miles before needing a major repair or replacement. Civics are also known for their tendency to hold their value well over time, depreciating at a rate of 16 percent after five years. This means that they will have a higher resale value compared to other vehicles on the market. Consider looking for a used Honda Civic between the years 2012 to 2015 because their prices can range from $2,625 to $11,000. As for mileage, this car can achieve an average of 33 miles per gallon.

Subaru Impreza

2017 Subaru Impreza WRX STI (Paul Hadley)

Equipped with an all-wheel drive system, the Subaru Impreza comes with excellent traction and stability for a variety of road conditions. The Impreza, like the Corolla, prioritizes safety and includes features such as lane departure warning, adaptive cruise control, and pre-collision braking. Imprezas are also very durable cars, as they are able to withstand years of use with proper maintenance and achieve 150,000 to 200,000 total miles. The most reliable years for the Impreza are the 2011 and 2017 models – these models will provide the best experience and cost the least in repairs as time goes on. A used Impreza from these years will cost around $6,386 to $11,372. Baseline Imprezas can achieve an average mileage of 32 miles per gallon. However, trim levels, such as the sporty Impreza WRX STI, have reduced mileage and offer greater handling and horsepower. This is a potential option for those looking to have a fun driving experience.

Mazda CX-5

2017 Mazda CX-5 at the Tokyo Auto Salon (Wikimedia Commons )

With an average reliability score of 83/100 according to J.D Power, the Mazda CX-5 has remained one of those most reliable and stylish SUVs on the market. The CX-5 has a unique look that stands out amongst its competitors, like a luxurious interior that resembles that of a Lexus, while also being built on a solid platform of quality materials that contribute to its reliability. Mazda incorporates advanced technology into their vehicles, such as SkyActiv software that improves fuel efficiency. In mileage, the CX-5 is able to get an average mileage of 28 miles per gallon, which ranges in the top average amongst other SUVs. The average lifespan for a CX-5 can last between 13 to 17 years, or 200,000 to 250,000 miles. This model’s most reliable years span between two generations: the KE (2012-2017) and the KF (2017-present). A used Mazda from these generations will cost around $4,500 to $15,409.

Honda Accord

2021 Honda Accord Sport (Wikimedia Commons)

Ever since 1976, the Honda Accord has continued to earn itself a positive reputation in the car market. If you are someone looking for the most reliable car that provides a comfortable and fuel-efficient ride, the Accord was designed to do just that. Like the CX-5, the Honda brand uses its own software, called Honda’s Earth Dreams, that improves its fuel economy without sacrificing performance. This efficiency often translates to less strain on the car’s components, offering better long-term reliability. The Accord has an average lifespan of 200,000 to 300,000 miles and an average mileage of 44 miles per gallon. Starting from 2006 to present day, a used Accord can be bought for $3,295 to under $25,000, which is cheaper than the average Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of other sedans. The Accord’s production into the market, even after so many years, is a testament to its dependability, and Honda further continues to refine its manufacturing processes and enhance the reliability of its vehicles.