The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Guide to Common LGBTQIA Terms

Evie Pazan

Note: This is a broad overview of terms used within the LGBTQIA community and does not fully cover the variety of identities represented in the community. While the definitions described are the most common interpretations, experiences within the LGBTQIA community vary from individual to individual.

Sexual orientation is a person’s identity in relation to what gender(s) they experience an enduring pattern of romantic or sexual attraction to. Sexual orientation is completely separate from gender identity.

The term homosexual refers to anyone who experiences attraction to members of the same gender, whereas heterosexual refers to anyone who experiences attraction towards people of the opposite gender.

The “Q” in LGBTQIA stands for queer. Queer is an umbrella term used to describe anyone who is not heterosexual and cisgender. Historically, the term has been used as a slur towards the LGBTQIA community. However, in the 1980s, queer activists began reclaiming the term as a more radical alternative to other LGBTQIA labels.

The Orange-Pink Lesbian Flag was introduced in 2018 as a more trans inclusive alternative to previous flags. The flag includes seven stripes in various shades of orange and pink. The dark orange represents gender nonconformity, the orange represents independence, the light orange represents community, and the white represents unique relationships to womanhood. The pink represents serenity and peace, the dusty pink represents love and sex, and the dark rose represents femininity.

The “L” in LGBTQIA stands for lesbian.
The term lesbian commonly refers to women who experience attraction to other women. Another common interpretation is that lesbian refers to non-men who are attracted to other non-men, which is more inclusive to individuals in the trans community.

The Six-Stripe Pride Flag has been popular since the late 70s when it was modified from the original Gilbert Baker Eight-Stripe Pride Flag. It is used as a general symbol to represent the LGBTQIA community. However, in recent years, it is more typically used to represent the gay community, whereas more inclusive flags such as the Intersex-Inclusive Pride Flag have gained more traction as general LGBTQIA symbols.
The Seven-Stripe Gay Man Flag was introduced in 2019 as a more trans inclusive alternative to the previous flag. The flag includes seven stripes in various shades of green and blue, but there is debate on what each stripe represents. Some interpretations describe the flag to be modeled after the Orange-Pink Lesbian Flag with the stripes representing gender nonconformity, independence, community, unique relationships, love and sex, and masculinity.

The “G” in LGBTQIA stands for gay.
The term gay refers to anyone who is attracted to someone of the same gender. People of any gender may use this term to describe their sexuality; however, the term has traditionally been used to describe men who are attracted to other men. The Traditional Pride Flag is commonly used to represent individuals who identify as gay regardless of gender, while the Gay Men’s Pride Flag is used to represent the gay men’s community in particular.

The Bisexual Pride Flag was introduced in 1998, and includes three stripes. The pink stripe represents seme-sex attraction, the blue stripe represents opposite-sex attraction, and the purple stripe represents a combination of both.

The “B” in LGBTQIA stands for bisexual.
The term bisexual refers to anyone who experiences attraction to people of more than one gender. Additionally, the term biromantic refers to anyone who experiences romantic, but not necessarily sexual, attraction to people of more than one gender. A number of other identities fall under “the bi umbrella,” with the most common ones being pansexual and polysexual.

Pansexual refers to individuals who experience attraction to people regardless of gender. The main difference between the terms bisexual and pansexual is that, while the bisexual identity leaves room for preference regarding attraction to people of different genders, the pansexual identity is defined by the lack of preference between genders.

The pansexual and polysexual identities fall under the bisexual umbrella. (Evie Pazan)

Polysexual refers to individuals who experience attraction to more than one gender, but not all. The main difference between the term bisexual and polysexual is that while bisexuality can refer to someone who is attracted to all genders, the polysexual identity is defined by only experiencing attraction to some genders.

The Asexual Pride Flag was introduced in 2010 ,and includes four stripes. The black stripe represents asexuality, the gray stripe represents ace and demisexual identities, the white stripe represents sexuality, and the purple stripe represents community.

The “A” in LGBTQIA stands for asexual and aromantic.
The term asexual refers to individuals who experience little to no sexual attraction to people of any gender, whereas allosexual refers to individuals who do experience sexual attraction.

The Aromantic Pride Flag was introduced in 2014, and includes five stripes. The green and light green stripes represent the spectrum of aromantic individuals, the white stripe represents platonic relationships, and the gray and black stripes represent individuals of other sexualities.

The term aromantic refers to individuals who experience little to no romantic attraction to people of any gender, whereas alloromantic refers to individuals who do experience romantic attraction.The term aroace refers to individuals who identify as both aromantic and asexual. However, the two identities are not always conjoined, as someone may experience romantic attraction but not sexual attraction or vice versa.

The term demisexual refers to individuals who need to develop an emotional bond with someone in order to experience sexual attraction towards them. Similarly, the term demiromantic refers to individuals who need to develop an emotional bond with someone in order to experience romantic attraction to them.

Gender identity is an individual’s personal perception of themself in reference to the socially constructed characteristics of women and men. Gender identity is not related to one’s biological sex or gender assigned at birth, nor is it connected to one’s sexual orientation.

The Transgender Pride Flag was introduced in 1999, and includes five stripes. The light blue stripes represent the traditional color associated with baby boys, the light pink stripes represent the traditional color associated with baby girls, and the white stripe represents gender nonconforming individuals.

The “T” in LGBTQIA stands for transgender.
Transgender is an umbrella term that describes anyone whose gender identity differs from the gender assigned to them at birth, whereas cisgender refers to anyone whose gender identity aligns with the gender they were assigned at birth. Transgender may refer to transgender men or women, as well as a variety of identities that describe individuals who do not conform to the gender binary. Some identities that fall under the trans umbrella include, but are not limited to, nonbinary, agender, genderfluid, and genderqueer.

The agender, gender fluid, and genderqueer identities fall under the nonbinary umbrella. Furthermore, the nonbinary identity falls under the transgender umbrella. (Evie Pazan)

The term nonbinary is used to describe anyone who feels like they do not fit into the traditional gender binary. Nonbinary people may identify as both man and woman, neither, or somewhere in between. Nonbinary can also be used as an umbrella term for identities such as agender, genderfluid, and genderqueer.

The term agender refers to individuals who describe themselves as not having a gender. Some agender people describe themselves as gender neutral, while others feel simply genderless.

The term genderfluid is used to describe individuals whose gender is unfixed and fluid. Genderfluid people may identify as a variety or combination of identities at any time.

The term genderqueer is used to describe individuals who identify as neither male nor female, but as in between genders or a combination of genders.

The term two-spirit refers to an Indigenous American identity that describes individuals who blend masculine and feminine traits. Historically, two-spirit people were considered neither men nor women, but an entirely separate gender. The term is still used today by many LGBTQIA Indigenous peoples.

The Intersex Flag was introduced in 2013 and includes a purple circle on a yellow background. The circle represents wholeness, the purple color represents the diversity of intersex individuals, and the yellow background represents gender neutrality.

The “I” in LGBTQIA stands for intersex.
The term intersex is an umbrella term used to describe anyone whose chromosomal pattern, reproductive system, or sexual anatomy does not fit the typical binary standards of male or female bodies. The term dyadic is used to describe anyone who does not fall under the category of intersex.