The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

“Anything Goes:” The lead’s thoughts

%E2%80%98Anything+Goes%E2%80%99+Cast+and+Crew+
Malcolm Harris (11)
‘Anything Goes’ Cast and Crew

The Dos Pueblos Theater Company musical “Anything Goes” is a dramatic romance that displays love triangles aboard the S.S. American ship. This musical is directed by Theater Teacher Emily Libera. From hijinks to dance numbers, “Anything Goes” covers several topics, including a blend of “romance and adventure” according to Libera.

David Rose (12) (Kristian Lazcano)

David Rose (12) plays the ship’s captain, whose main job involves keeping everyone safe and happy. In Rose’s free time, he enjoys playing video games and reading. This will be his last DP performance, and Rose said he had a “great time” portraying the captain.

“Preparing for this role has been difficult,” Rose said. “You have to constantly be present in the scenes, even when you’re not speaking.”

Rose said he worked on his “authority figure” for this role, and “not holding back” helped with his portrayal of the captain.

“I’ve learned that [putting] lots of work and effort into a role [pays off],” Rose said. “You can improve more and more from [just one role].”

Norah Ferguson (12) (Kristian Lazcano)

Norah Ferguson (12) plays two roles in “Anything Goes.” Her first role is a minister named Henry T. Dobson who quickly gets carried off by the FBI. Later in the musical, Ferguson undergoes a costume change and becomes a sailor for the rest of the show.

“Learning the types of dances that [are] needed for this role was [one of] the hardest parts,” Ferguson said. “My trickiest [part] is my fast costume change.”

Ferguson prepared for her sailor role by taking multiple tap dancing lessons.

“I’m really proud of how I’ve grown in [my dance] capacity,” Ferguson said. “There’s now a time where I’m teaching other people how to do certain [tap] dance stuff.”

In her freetime, Ferguson plays guitar and enjoys reading, but right now she’s mainly focused on theater.

Ferguson said the stage crew, actors, and pit orchestra have all “worked really hard” on “Anything Goes,” and that their endeavor impacted the overall musical.

While the musical covers several themes, Ferguson hopes the audience can take away one specifically.

“There’s a lot about discovering who you are,” Ferguson said. “Making sacrifices for love [and] learning how to love.”

Mary Bailey (12) (Nicola Bailey)

Mary Bailey (12) plays a blond show girl named Reno Sweeney, a “confident woman.” Outside of the musical, Bailey enjoys playing piano and participating in Dos Pueblos Jazz Choir.

“The biggest challenge of my role [was] singing and dancing,” Bailey said. “It’s a lot of hard work to nail everything down.”

Rehearsals have helped Bailey overcome challenges as an actress, and they have also helped her learn new “vocal abilities”. Bailey’s hope is that the audience will have a fun time watching “Anything Goes.”

“From this musical … we see a lot of characters choosing happiness over what society thinks is best for [them],” Bailey said. “I think that’s a wonderful theme.”

Never miss out on new articles!

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Charger Account

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dos Pueblos High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.