The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

SB Zoo Lights Review

Diego Aguilar
DPHS Cheerleader Kayla McCutchen (11) admires one of the many light sculptures littered around the Zoo.

Zoo Lights is an annual event hosted by the Santa Barbara Zoo that transforms the property into an illuminated spectacle, incorporating light sculptures and an activity center. Over 50,000 LED bulbs are strategically positioned throughout the zoo to accentuate various animal exhibits.

Zoo Lights is targeted at young children and families, seen in its ticket pricing and laid-back atmosphere. Ticket prices range from $22 to $32 and children cost $2 less than adults. Additionally, recreational activities, such as rock climbing and seesaws, contribute to the mood and excitement of the event.

The self-guided tour allows for a quick and easy entry after parking and makes the event feel more adventurous. The LED sculptures offer a visually appealing landscape, and are spread across the zoo, while the activity center, which is filled with games and events, provides a central point for entertainment.
The whole experience takes about an hour, from admiring the lights and participating in the different activities. Visitors can take the opportunity to have photoshoots and to really soak in the beauty of the thousands of LEDs. The workers stationed around the Zoo were very knowledgeable and friendly,and were pointing guests to light displays that they might have missed otherwise.

Zoo Lights is a great experience, especially with friends or a date. While it isn’t a long event, it’s definitely worth the money and time, and the experience isn’t one I’ll forget soon. The light sculptures were beautiful and the activity center, while busy, was a fun respite from walking. So, if you have some spare time, definitely check it out.

Never miss out on new articles!