The Student News Site of Dos Pueblos High School

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

The Charger Account

Chargers Overcome Double-Digit Deficit in 2nd Half, Ryan Marsh Down with Injury

The DP football team takes a knee around their coach.

The Charger’s had their second game of the football season where they took on the Nordoff Rangers. Last year, the Chargers put on an excellent performance at home against the Rangers, winning the game 41-7. Quarterback Ryan Marsh (12), who was coming off of an efficient game, was looking to build off of the performance and connect with his receivers again.

To start off the game, for the first few drives of the Chargers, it was a little slow. The Rangers were the first ones to put points up on the board with 7:20 remaining left in the first quarter, but proceeded to miss the extra point.

The Chargers on their second drive made their way down the field in multiple runs and passes. However, with 2:45 left in the first quarter, Marsh went down with a knee injury off of an illegal hit on the right side of the field after a QB run.

Backup Quarterback Gonzo Murillo (11) took his first career snaps and, with the help of Running Back Kaleb Williams (11), ran in for a touchdown with 1:36 remaining in the first quarter. This would make the game 7-6 in favor of the Chargers at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter was relatively uneventful for the Chargers, and they would allow a 67-yard rushing touchdown with 8:20 left in the second quarter. The Rangers would convert for two points making the score 14-7, in favor of the Rangers. The score would stay the same going into halftime.

The Chargers first drive in the second half resulted in a third and out and on the Rangers’ first drive, they landed a 36-yard field goal with three minutes left in the quarter. This elevated the score to 17-7 in favor of the Rangers.

Right after the Rangers field goal, the Chargers got a momentum boost. On the kick return, Matt Welsh (12) would run for 67 yards to the opposing 28-yard line, setting them up with great field position. On three runs from Williams and a 12-yard touchdown run from Danny Vidaure (11) with one minute and some change left in the third quarter.

With the first play of the fourth quarter by the Rangers, they would receive a high snap and Evan Yelles (11) would recover the football in Ranger territory, setting them up with great field position. Williams and Vidaure went back at it and Vidaure would end up with the touchdown with 10:20 remaining in the fourth, making the once double-digit deficit a lead, as the score was 21-17, with the Chargers up.

As the Rangers went down the field, they received another high snap, and the fumble was recovered again by the Chargers. Past the halfway mark of the fourth quarter, Williams would make a five-yard run into the endzone, which would extend the lead to 11 points, 28-17.

The Rangers were able to push down the field, and they would get the touchdown with an additional two-point conversion, making the game a three-point differential 28-25. They would attempt an onside kick, but it was recovered by Nathaniel Huerta (12). This would seal the game for the Chargers, and they would kneel out the rest of the game.

A total of 11 passes were attempted throughout the game by both quarterbacks Marsh and Murillo. This is the lowest amount of pass attempts since their home game versus Royal High School in 2021 (where only seven were attempted). Running Backs Vidaure and Williams both had two touchdowns, and Vidaure led the team in all-purpose yards. The Chargers are now 2-0 and will play at Buena High School this Friday at 7 p.m.

Never miss out on new articles!