Categories:

DP kicks off athletics this year with girls volleyball season opener and flag football scrimmage

Girls Flag Football at Scott O'Leary stadium on Tuesday, August 13th in their first scrimmage of the season.
Girls Flag Football at Scott O’Leary stadium on Tuesday, August 13th in their first scrimmage of the season.
Ava Canfield

Last night, DP welcomed back athletics for the 2024-2025 school year with the first volleyball game and flag football scrimmage of the season. 

The games followed Charger Check-In, where sophomores, juniors, and seniors returned to DP to receive their schedules and take their yearbook pictures for the upcoming school year.

Girls volleyball faced off against Newbury Park at home to kick off the season. Although the girls lost 2-3, the energy in Sovine Gym was high and the team got their first look at a 5-set match. 

Setter Halle Rillie (12) brought 7 kills, 23 assists, and 10 digs to the team over the course of the game. 

“[Rillie is] always steady and consistently great for us,” coach Megan O’Carroll said.

Addie Low (11) was unstoppable in the middle hitting an impressive 0.640 and 17 kills, 1 ace, and 3 digs.

DP girls varsity volleyball facing off against Newbury Park on Tuesday, Aug. 13th at home. (Ava Canfield)

Additionally, Jayden Jones (12) had a strong game with 7 kills, 2 aces, and 8 digs. 

“Although we didn’t get the win, we’ve improved so much in the six practices we have had this season so far and have identified areas that we can work on getting better at,” O’Carroll said. 

Catch the next varsity volleyball game at home against Oak Park on Thursday, Aug. 15 at 6:30 p.m.. 

Additionally, flag football played Newbury Park at home in Scott O’Leary Stadium for their first scrimmage.

Last year was flag football’s first season at DP and in CIF, where the team made history as the first ever Channel League Champions. Additionally, the team traveled to Irvine to compete in the LA Chargers Championship Tournament as one of only the Top 20 schools in Southern California invited. They made it to the semi-finals, giving them an overall record of 14-3 and 6-1 in league to end their historic season. 

The team is looking forward to a great 2024 season as they face off against Bishop Diego High School for their first game next Tuesday, August 20 at home at 7:00 PM.

Never miss out on new articles!

Donate to The Charger Account

Your donation will support the student journalists of Dos Pueblos High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.