Channel Keeper’s 19th Annual Art Show

Molly Grant
Molly grant from San Marcos High School’s first place winning bird in a nest art work named Cormorant Nest

On April 23, 2022, Channelkeepers held its 19th annual art show. This year’s show, artist reception, and award ceremony took place as part of the Community Environmental Council’s Santa Barbara Earth Day celebration.

This year’s theme was “What the Channel Means to Me” and was meant to inspire local students to get in touch with their connection to the Santa Barbara Channel and create art that inspired others to look at the natural beauty that the channel has to offer.

This year’s contest was open to high school students from Carpinteria to Goleta and featured work from all the schools, including Dos Pueblos, Carpinteria, San Marcos, Santa Barbara, and Bishop Diego high school.

“Local artist Molly Gwitt judged pieces based on creativity, technical skill, sense of style, and interpretation of the theme,” said the Channelkeepers on their website.

The award-winning students were announced on April 23 at the Arlington Theatre. They were awarded a large cash prize donated by Trillium Enterprises, Inc., the City of Goleta Grant Program, and Imla’kesh Organics.

“The award-winning artwork was displayed in the State Street office window of the Community Environmental Council at 1219 State Street from April 23 – May 5, following the award ceremony on the 23,” the Channelkeepers said on their website